Taipei, Taiwan

Taipei, Taiwan
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 3: Hiking, Jade Market, and City Hall


On January 2nd, we did a number of things. First, three of us went on a hike in the hills that are very close to the youth center. It was like a little village up there in the hills. People were extremely friendly. There was a mixture of Hindu temples and small houses. The trails are very developed. I found out later that people will live in the city of Taipei and then will own property in the hills around the city. This would then by their "backyard."


Next we went to the jade market and found out that it is harder to get people in Taiwan to come down in their prices. There were many beautiful pieces of jade and rock, but most of them were too expensive to buy. In a few weekends we will be going to a smaller town. I'm hoping to find some things there.


After the jade market we went to lunch. The place wasn't very clean, but I didn't get sick. I must have an iron gut or something. One of the workers could speak English fairly well and we talked with him. He is 56 and retired and works there part time. It makes me wonder if people retire earlier in Taiwan than in The States.


After getting food, we rode the MRT to City Hall. At City Hall there are four floors of a free museum. We also saw a movie there. The movie was about things to do in Taipei. We now have a To-Do list. We have also established a "Fun Committee" (FC).


Next we went to dinner. It was very clean and we decided it is a chain. After dinner we went to 7-11. There are 7-11s all over the city... about 1 on every block. The 7-11s over here are more focused on food and not so much car parts or gas.


I don't think I'm going to be able to post something about everyday like I wanted to. I thought I was going to be able to copy and paste some of my journal that I have to keep for my class, but some of my comments and ideas are a little bit too...ummm... honest. I think I'm going to post something every couple of days.


Zaijian!
JP

No comments:

Post a Comment